Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hoosiers Do The Comma!!!


Our next wonderful assignment is to create a powerpoint presentation to present to the class in our groups.  Each group was assigned a punctuation mark that they were responsible to present on.  Unfortunately, my group received the honors of telling the class about the comma.  I was really hoping that we would get the exclamation point, because that is an exciting and happy punctuation mark.  I found out after extensive research, like the rest of my group, the comma has about 1,205,938 rules for usage in the english language. (that was a joke!!!)  Honestly, there are a lot of rules, but we also decided to research on the misuses of the comma as well.  The comma is often misused so we thought that it would be important to supply some of that information to the class.  Believe it or not, but there are a lot of ways that people misuse the comma also.  When we started this project we were responsible to start a Facebook group to use as a communication tool.  This was a great idea and really shows how Facebook can be used for educational purposes.  Our group was able to link to sites and share information that would have been difficult to do unless we met outside of class.  Overall I think this project is going to be a pretty good experience, because even though we are only presenting information on punctuation marks, we are going to improve our group and oral delivery skills.  However, I am nervous to give our presentation, because I did most of the powerpoint creation!!!

5 comments:

Baxter Cox said...

Briggs, Good work on the presentation so far. It's going to be the best one, so I guess you could say it's the best for last! I have learned a lot on the comma and it's uses from all of the research we've had to do, and it will definitely pay off soon. I checked out some of your old posts as well and really like some of the links you included in them. Keep up the good work on the presentation, as well as on the football field!

Anonymous said...

Your presentation sounds good, I hate using commas because i use it either too much or too less, hopefully i can learn a thing or two.

Alyssa said...

I agree, a comma would be difficult to dress up as. And I was wanting the exclammation point as well! ha. And I did most of our powerpoint too. How long is your powerpoint? I timed ours at 3 minutes but I have no idea how we're going to get at least 5 more minutes worth of information out. Good luck on your presentation! Maybe you can use all 1,205,938 rules to take up some time. =]

Unknown said...

Thank You for doing the power point! On paper it looks good. I'm so glad we got to research about the comma..geee it's so interesting. I will defiantly lead a better life now. [funny] Tomorrows presentations will be fascinating...

Ross said...

Hey man... just wanted to let you you know you did a good job on the presentation!! You are definitely the official computer technician for THE HOOSIERS now. And good luck this weekend.