Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Animal Farm" Passage












This week's reading was a speech given in George Orwell's Animal Farm.  The speech was given by Major, the lead pig on the farm.  After doing some background research on the book I was able to understand what was going on better in this speech, which not to mention was a brilliant one.  Major did a great job on addressing the rest of the farm animals in this passage.  He was able to present the animals his argument by using the techniques and elements that make a great speech.  I thought that by the end of the speech he really had persuaded the "comrades" to believe what he was telling them.  The main reason that he was able to persuade his audience was due to his great use of supportive detail to all of his claims on how humans are bad.  After reading this article, I was reminded of a movie that I saw a while back called Barnyard.  I just felt like the movie Barnyard was based off of the book Animal Farm.  I'm sure that there were some connections there, but I did notice that in Barnyard the leader of the farm is a cow and not a pig.  I don't remember the movie real well, but after reading this passage it helped me realize where Nickelodeon got its idea for the movie.  This passage was pretty entertaining for me, because I always love to read or watch animals talk in literature and movies.  I think it is funny to see how each author or director portrays a different diction for the different animals.  It really tells the audience what the author or director thinks about the animal's personality.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about his speech i felt like i was persuaded myself into joining his group. I also found him giving the speech very strong because he gave very detailed examples of how they were being mistreated. I have never seen the movie Barnyard, but based of the the book if the movie is anything like Animal Farm i am sure it is really good. I also thought that the Major was acting as though like a leader of the farm. Overall, it was a nice read.