Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Personal Testimony and Allusion

The word I am defining in my essay is "Love."  Today I created my thesis statement which is, "Love can be seen as a dedicated commitment or passion towards a person or an object that an individual can't live without."  I also decided that the audience I would be writing to would be a group of people who restrict love to only be shared with humans.  I will be trying to show how love can be shared with almost anything!!!  Also the fact that love is not just a feeling of affection or attraction, but it is a commitment and a passion that one feels for something or someone.

I have had a few personal experiences with love.  First off I have experienced love with humans through my family and my girlfriend (of over three and a half years).  This experience allows me to relate to the audience that I will be trying to persuade if you will.  However, I have also experienced love with objects, such as my love for football.  I love football so much that I got a tribal football tattoo on my right shoulder blade.  This tattoo will be with me forever to remind myself of my love for the game of football.  This experience goes to show my audience that it is possible to love objects, things, or even sports.  It shows how my audience can have a dedicated commitment or passion for something that you can't be without other than just people.  These experiences that I have described will allow me to relate to my audience and give them examples of love, while at the same time appealing to their values and emotions (Ethos and Pathos).
I may use an allusion to love from the movie "Step Up 2."  In the movie the main character, Andie loves dancing and she can't get enough of it.  She cares so much about dancing that she attends a school that she hates and she gives up all of her friends in order to continue to dance.  This relates to my essay because it shows how people can love things other than just people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love is a really good topic to talk about since it is in everybody's life, even if the don't know it! You have some good personal examples to talk about, both of them I think will help connect with your reader. Such as with your tattoo you got of football to show your love for the game, it shows people that it is possible to have that much passion and dedication for something beside another person. You have a good topic to write this paper. Good Luck!

Nicole said...

Briggs you have a lot of great info in here. Your allusion is great (I love that movie), you understand the appeals, and you use examples. One thing I would say is to try and create a scene and use details when you talk about your personal examples. Let us see you on that football team so we can understand how much you love it.