Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Meaning Essay Post #2

I feel like I kind of already did this assignment by writing about the commercial that I will be writing about in my blog post for Tuesday.  However, I did get some new ideas on ways to make a better argument and how to create a better essay.  So, you can compare this post to the one that I made on Tuesday to see how I view this commercial differently now.
The personal testimony that I have that relates to this commercial is that I was once a young and immature teenage boy that needed help being "cool".  Unfortunately, a body spray isn't going to make you an instant stud.  There is more to being "cool" than just smelling great.  Although I have tried this body spray by Old Spice and admit that it is pretty good smelling, it isn't going to change the person that you are.  I honestly believe that no nonliving object has the capability to change how you are.
In order for me to inform you of my counter argument you probably need to know a little background on my argument.  Basically, I will be focusing on the fact that Old Spice uses a logical fallacy to get you to buy their product.  They do this by making you think that their product will transform you into a stud.
My counter argument is that this body spray by Old Spice, entitled "Swagger" will give you a pleasant smell.  As I touched on in my personal testimony, this is a great scent.  If you wear this body spray you may have a couple people come up to you and ask you what cologne you are wearing, or tell you that you smell nice.  This is making you more popular in public, which is what Old Spice is portraying in their commercial, but on a much smaller level.  This is the positive from the body spray, but like I said it isn't going to change you as a person.

* This is the other new commercial that Old Spice came out with for "Swagger".  Just to let you know.

No comments: