Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Meaning Essay


I am going to do my meaning essay on this Old Spice commercial.  I remembered watching this commercial over the weekend and I thought that it would work pretty well for the assignment.  The first thing that I remember saying to myself after watching this commercial was, "I guess they want the viewer to assume that if he uses this body spray that he will transform into this stud."  It's a funny commercial because obviously everyone knows that a body spray isn't going to change you into a totally different person.  However, I think it would leave a lot of viewers with no common since wondering exactly how cool this new body spray really is.  This is where my argument for the meaning essay will come into play.
My personal experience for this essay is that I have actually tried the new body spray that Old Spice came out with, entitled "Swagger".  I do have to admit that the new scent is pretty amazing, but it isn't going to transform you into a NFL star.  I have always talked to a few friends that really enjoy the new body spray.  On top of that I know of people that will always ask about the body spray that I have on at a certain time.  This is where the commercial is partially true, because the spray will possibly get you noticed in public.
The common question, "Who smells good?" could be my allusion for this essay.  It never fails if there is someone in a room or small area that has a pleasant smelling cologne or body spray on a newcomer will always ask.  This is a common question all over the world, because it is just natural instinct to find out how is the one with the good smelling perfume on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this commercial, I found it funny when Urlacher starts laughing then has a serious face. I also think it can be misleading because I spray on body spray and I did not turn out like him. I like your meaning of the commercial I think it would really argue what the commercial is trying to portray. I like your allusion I think it is a good question that could open people's eyes.

Nicole said...

Briggs this commercial will work well for this assignment. You already hit on some good points in your blog.

NW